Monday, March 17, 2008

An Interestingand Emotional Day

Wow, what a day! Today started off pretty normal. I took my hcg and then got ready for work. I had a cup of coffee, got my little girl off to the school bus, finished getting ready and then went to work. Had a busy morning. A lot to catch up on. My son calls me at about 11:00 am and says, "mom, I need you to sign a release form for me." I say,"what kind of release form?"

He says, "a medical release form." Then I say, "what for?" He says, "The Army!" I'm like.... WOW! He's really going to do this! (He had talked a little about it and had said he was thinking about it.... but told me he would discuss everything with me before he makes any kind of decision.)

Then he says, "Oh and mom.... I need you to talk with "Srgnt so and so. He's planning on coming to see you sometime this afternoon." Then I say, "Alex, have you signed anything?" He then gets very quiet and then says, "well....not OFFICIALLY.... but.... I'm going down on Thursday to complete the rest of the paperwork and get sworn in." (The day BEFORE his 18th birthday.) I'm like.... "Well Alex, what if I don't sign the release?" He says, "Well, I'll do it next week then. But the job I want is available today and it may not be available next week, AND they're offering me a $35,000 dollar signing bonus." I wasn't planning on letting go of my little boy today!

But what's a mom to do? I want to be supportive of my son....but WOW.... don't take him away the minute he turns 18! I REALLY wasn't ready for this AT ALL! It's hard to write this. I'm on an emotional roller coaster right now.

So.... I spent the afternoon talking with the army recruiter. Apparently, he's been talking with Alex for some time. Of course he told me all the things a parent wants to hear about their kid.... and then says, "Well, I have some paperwork I need you to sign." - Now I'm SICK! Then he says, "This is just routine. We like to have parental support behind our guys, but as you know.... Alex will be 18 by the end of the week." So now I am faces with the inevitable..... I signed the papers.

1 comment:

Becca said...

OMG, that must have been gut-wrenching to sign those forms for your son. I can't even imagine how hard it was. I will be thinking of you and hoping things will be just fine.
What is the job that he is trying for? I hope they come through for him with the promises that they're making.
Stay strong!